Saturday, March 14, 2009

PAPERS DOWN. AND IN THEIR PLACE...?


The list of disappearing newspapers is becoming encyclopedic.

Halifax Daily News

San Fransisco Chronicle

Seattle P.I.

Rocky Mountain News

Christian Science Monitor

The L.A. Times and the Chicago Sun Times have filed for bankruptcy.

Lay-offs in all media, but especially daily print, are daily, commonplace and heartbreaking.

What does this mean for you and me?

Much. A great deal.

It means that there are far fewer reporters and real journalists who can dig deep in those stories that need public exposure.

I am not a reporter. Never have been.

I'm a columnist, an observer, a talk show host. I see the passing parade and hiss or applaud. My role is to express my reaction to the world and get you and me engaged in a dialogue about the issues.

I do not hang about City Hall, poking in all the dusty corners.

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people who do exactly that and who enjoy doing that and who are darned good at that can find work.

This means that you and I are increasingly less informed. The "official story" becomes increasingly unchallenged.

Which means that you and I are swallowing more and more horse swill as the days pass.

The Globe & Mail has written a marvelous several-page piece that asks the question:

Is democracy written in disappearing ink?

The other night I was standing in the many wrap-around windows of an apartment in downtown Vancouver. I found myself focusing on the beautiful old Sun Tower building on West Pender, and, behind it, the current Vancouver Sun building at the foot of Granville Street.

I had the same reaction that I had last year when I was in the advertising offices of the Sun, on the umpteentieth floor in the sky.

"Don't they know this is going the way of the dodo bird? Shouldn't they all be looking for other work?"

The Globe article studies in detail the inroads of the Internet and the erosion of the city newspaper financial model. But it also pints out starkly the unique role of the city daily print edition -

informing the public, animating civic culture and holding government accountable?


Blog Land is full of trenchant opinions (and pure, unadulterated idiocy), but opinions have to begin with facts and information.

So far, very few on-line papers or zines have been able to match the city daily.

Almost none have become crucial partners in the city's culture, sponsoring health and arts and sports and cultural events.

I have no idea what the coming years will bring us.

But let's be honest.

98% of the blogosphere is as productive and interesting as all those millions of teenage girls on their cells saying over and over again, "So, I'm like...and my mom's like...and I'm like..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

David I haven't read a newspaper in years. Everything that is in the "province" I can find online or on television and that is not an exaggeration. The Vancouver Sun had a headline a couple of months ago about "Vancouver's shame" It was a bout the china town riots that happened 500 years ago. What ever will we do without "The Sun" to remind us of events that happened well before our time? I say good riddance! Both of those rags are a waste of trees. It is time those two dinosaurs get with the times and go online. I will be happy when they start removing the paper boxes from the streets..more room!

Anonymous said...

I have read the papers since I was old enough to deliver them. A route in the West End 300 papers in a couple of blocks. Everyone read the paper. Back then the only way to pay for the paper to be delivered was when the carrier showed up at your door to collect. David , as I recall almost all the customers were english speaking. Very few ESL people. With the huge ethnic diversity in the lower mainland its not a wonder that 2 english papers are having a hard time . Advertisers must realize this as well. Why pay to advertise on NW or The Sun or any english media when so many buyers dont read or write in that language.

Anonymous said...

Subject: Israeli Sense of Humor at a UN meeting

An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in
the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile.

A representative from Israel began: 'Before I begin my talk I
want to tell you something about Moses.

When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, 'what a good opportunity to have a bath!'
He removed his clothes, put them aside on the rock and entered the water. When he got out and wanted to
dress, his clothes had vanished. A Palestinian had stolen them.'

The Palestinian representative jumped up furiously and shouted,
'What are you talking about? The Palestinians weren't even there then.'

The Israeli representative smiled and said, 'And now that we have made that clear, I will begin my speech.

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow will be the last print edition of the Seat P-I.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Seattle-Post-Intelligencer-become-Web/story.aspx?guid=%7B23BAAA05%2D02B4%2D47C0%2D9F8A%2D72298D3F1D52%7D

RonH