Friday, February 23, 2007

COP GONE. STRANGELOVE WINS.


I have no idea what has propelled Vancouver's Chief of Police, Jamie Graham, to announce that he will retire from his current post at the end of his contract in about a month's time. And, in fairness, I cannot or will not yet cast judgement on his tenure these past 5 years.


But I do know this. The current mayor, S.S., aka Dr. Strangelove, was at war with Chief Graham. Whatever they may tell the press and public, the truth is they barely tolerated each other's presence in the same room.


S.S. is on record saying that he doesn't think the police need more money or more officers - a notion completely and utterly out of synch with both the police and the taxpaying public. Dr. Strangelove's current council recently turned down exactly such a request from the Department.


Behind closed doors, His Lunacy, will tell anyone that listens that he has no patience for Enforcement, which is supposed to be one of the famous Four Pillars, that he doesn't want the police interfering in what he considers a medical issue, and frankly, he wishes that the police would just be quiet about addictions and other civic issues.


Maybe Jamie Graham should run for Mayor.

3 comments:

Robert W. said...

Stranger things have been known to happen, David! But in fact, I think YOU should run for mayor!!

David Berner said...

I may yet consider that, Robert. This fool definitely has to go. I see One Term Mayor written all over his forehead. Thank God.

Robert W. said...

The "difficulty" I have with civic politics is the same one I have with provincial politics: I'm not 100% happy with any politician or party but will definitely never vote for the extreme left (ie. COPE, NDP). So I've forced down a certain path simply due to a lack of options.

I've long wondered if many others around me feel exactly the same way?