Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Amazing Story from a Commentator

Our vehicle bit the dust before Christmas, needing a new one rather quickly, my husband found one at a dealer near our home, who happened to deal with a financial institution where we bank as well. They set up the financing, my husband took care of the paperwork, only my signature was still needed. I just had day surgery and we went from the hospital straight to the "bank" to sign the papers. I must have been still a bit groggy, only the next day did I see that we were expected to pay for life insurance. I called the finance officer handling our file and explained, that we have our own life insurance and don't need any from the bank. The bank manager came on the phone, telling me, part of the deal on getting the loan, was that we got life insurance from them. I explained again, that we didn't need it....going back and forth, the manager got quite rude, saying, we could try to get financing elsewhere, and good luck trying to unravel the contract, that was the condition to get the loan ...I forced myself to stay calm and polite, repeating that we didn't need it...finally he consented, saying we could write our life insurance over to them. I called our insurance agent only to find out, that it is "illegal" for any finance institution to "tightsell", as it's called, life insurance. I got financing from my own bank, where I've been a customer for over 20 years, they were great. I called ENQUIRY B.C., who'll connect you with the right branch of the government, that deals with businesses that break the rules. I refused to talk to that rude manager again, my husband phoned to tell them we didn't want their loan, we had no trouble getting the contract dissolved. I had a special constable come to my house and interview me about my dealings with that particular credit union. They haven't heard the last of this yet. Don't even get me started on the car dealership!! And Air Canada! My daughter traveled as an unacompanied minor, to see her grandparents in Europe, she got ill and vomited in the bathroom, they made her clean the toilette! Would they have done that with an adult? I doubt it, no apology, just excuses. They've lost us as customers.
April 3, 2007 8:58 AM

2 comments:

Walter Schultz said...

What you mean to say is, tied selling, not "tightselling".

You are however correct, tied selling is illegal. It's not right that your credit union put you throught this. This is highly illegal and an incredibly bad business practice.

nachtwache said...

Thank you for the correct word, tied selling, I never heard it before this experience and never saw it in print, I wrote it as I heard it; it's always good to learn new things.
I'm happy to know this now and to know my rights as a consumer.