Monday, April 30, 2007

Everything is My Movie - Back Off!


"'scuse me, 'scuse me, 'scuse me."


Or, if you're trying to get off the vaparetto in Venice and pushing past the human walls in your way, "Permesso, permesso..."


But we have a starkly different sensibility here at home.


Today, nobody can tell me nuttin' cause the world is here entirely for my amusement.


Yesterday, I left my friend sitting on the patio of a cafe near English Bay while I went inside to visit the bathroom. Actually, it was more than a visit. I intended to pee. In fact, I did pee.


But to get to the bathroom, I had to say, ever so quietly and politely, "Excuse me, please," to a young couple who were standing on the narrow carpet, waiting to place their orders.


The man looked at me with pure, desalinated hate.


Yes, hate.


How dare I ask important Him and lovely Her to do anything unplanned that might not profit them or might even for a moment, yes, inconvenience them?


On my return, they saw my approach and moved a few inches back, but with such monumental put-out fussiness, you could have read it from the back row at Covent Garden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David.Sure miss you on the radio.Actually, as a talk show listener for years,it near makes me cry to have lived through the golden age of call in shows and differing opinions and ideas! Bush and Cheney should be hung for treason!Problem is the yankees are the most pig-ignorant people in the world! If it's not rock music or movies they dont kow it! All the best David in your endeavours. Lorne.

David Berner said...

Hey Lorne,
Many thanks for the kind words. Stay strong, stay healthy, stay the course...

Robert W. said...

David,

Though I'm embarrassed to be posting in the same set of comments as Lorne ("pig-ignorant"? I recall another set of people that were referred to as pigs 60 years ago) but ... most people probably think you exaggerated when you used the word "hate" to describe the look you got from the male yuppie. I actually think it's quite accurate of what I encounter on a regular basis in this city. They'd all compete well against sponge manufacturers who brag about self-absorption!