Friday, May 11, 2007

Guest Editorial from V. - Most Important!


The provincial government has come down on the farmer whose van was involved in the needless, heartless deaths of those Indian women who perished in an unsafe van ,while on their way at dawn to process food for our tables. Fine Mr.Falcon, but not enough. This is a far bigger problem than one farmer.


See, here's the thing.


I don't want to buy my broccoli , from a store that buys its broccoli, from a farm or greenhouse that abuses or causes the death of its workers.


I think most decent people feel the same.


So we need to take a page from the great Cesar Chavez who fought so gallantly for farm workers in California.


I want to see a vigorous inspection system for farms. One that tells me they are treating their workers right, protecting my health, and protecting the environment. Maybe BC Fed could do this.


Then I want all stores , large and small, that sell farm products, to have their supplier list reviewed by the inspectors. Stores that buy farm goods from farmers who respect workers, public health and the environment get a window sticker. Losers don't.


If there's no sticker, I don't buy my broccoli there. Neither would you.


Cheaters would try, but a scum list could be published for those that attempted to forge a sticker.


Yes, I can hear the yeahbut crowd saying " What about food from Mexico, China, Thailand,California etc.". I can't change behaviors in those countries. But I sure as hell can do it here.


I hope you or I never ate a single tomato that came from that man's business. I can't be sure.


But if we did, those dead women were working for us when they died. How does that feel?As the commercial says " Can you hear me yet?"


I never want this to happen again. It's not enough to make one person the official sin eater, no matter how guilty he was.


Let's fix this. Let's demand that it be fixed.


Hola Cesar Chavez. Your work continues. It is our job now.


Regards


A Boulevardier

No comments: