Sunday, August 26, 2007

Test the Teachers


A teacher in Victoria refuses to give her garde 3 kids a reading test.


One little dear was in tears "of anxiety" and the teacher has now been emotionally blackmailed into her new stand.


Does she have children? Has she ever seen a kid cry?


She is not alone.


Many of our public school teachers don't want to give their kids tests. Why would they? The kids might do poorly and that might reflect of what sloppy, ineffectual teachers they are.


Now, I realize that I am an old, grumbling relic that thinks all things from "my day" were better. (Not really but I thought I'd position myself that way just for fun.) But WE took test day in and day out all throughout school and our big noses didn't fall off and we've all managed to live a life.


Adults are put to the test every day in real life.


We live in an adolescent culture that worships and is afraid of children.


How does that lead to teaching?

2 comments:

MurdocK said...

Interesting, that you feel that our society is adolescent, I agree.

Worships and is afraid of children though?

I think that the school system is a drain on our future potential, our children.

Why would you allow some government agent to manipulate your mind?

This is what we are permitting to happen to our children.

More thoughts like this can be found in the book by John Taylor Gatto:
The Underground History of American Education

Give it a read David, I think you will find it enlightening.

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago my son's grade four teacher repeatedly spoke negatively to her class about the upcoming Provincial exams. As a result, we had to do damage control at home to counter the exam stress she was causing over absolutely nothing as far as we were concerned.

I agree with you:

"The kids might do poorly and that might reflect on what sloppy, ineffectual teachers they are."

That and the fact that the teachers seem to buy hook, line and sinker the line of bull they are fed by their Union about "teaching to the test" and other such nonsense.