Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Victor (Guest Blogger) vs. Bruce & The Kneejerkers


The problem with tirades like Bruce Allan's recent rant is that they silence all legitimate questioning of unacceptable cultural practices. Instead of simply dismissing his "be like us or go home" rhetoric as foolish, commentators have been lining up protect multi culturalism from an imagined assault. Not surprisingly, of the 70 plus ethnic groups in Vancouver, one has been singularly vocal on this. They always are. Can anybody remember the last time Vancouver's Koreans issued a collective whine? Or the VietNamese community? Or the Malaysians? etc.etc.
The underlying theme in the media forelock tugging is that all differences must be accommodated in Canada, land of block voting.


This brings great comfort to the people in Canada who are slicing the labia from ten year old girls in the name of tradition.


It brings great comfort to people like the lovely Surrey couple whom put a hit on their daughter- in -law in India because she failed to meet tribal standards.


Or the guy in Kamloops who murdered his 15 year old daughter in an honour killing because she dated a white guy.


No doubt, those in our midst who still adhere to their cultural edicts calling for the stoning of gay people and adulterers, are praising the bovine inclusiveness doctrine being chanted by the media.


Yes, the Canadian mosaic is a source of pride to many. But if you look closely at the mosaic, there are some obscene, perverse and vile little drawings that have no place on the canvass. Leaving them there, without comment, on the grounds that no custom should ever be criticized, is foolish and dangerous.


Thanks a lot Bruce.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some things, it seems to me, just come down to basic human rights. Broadly, as a planet of people who come from sometimes very diverse cultures, we still have some things in common, we still share basic needs. I am not a cultural relativist about these basic human rights.

Ellen R. Sheeley, Author
"Reclaiming Honor in Jordan"

Anonymous said...

Don't come to Canada if you oppose gay marriage, don't come to Canada if you don't agree that the French language comes first in Quebec, don't come to Canada if you disagree with legalized abortion.

All of the above are examples of laws in this country where people are entitled to their viewpoint and can try to affect change.

Regardless if you agree with gay marriage, abortion or French only signage in Quebec. You can raise your point of view, repectfully. That is what sets Canada apart from other countries and for Bruce Allen to say that visible minorities are "special interest groups" and they should "go home, see ya" when they try to affect change is ignorant and objectionable or both.

There is a massive dividing line between free speech and bigotry.

David, I read your opinion on this and I had thought that someone who may have crossed paths with Bruce Allen would have more to say.

Anonymous said...

I don;t have a clue as to who Posted this, but it speaks VOLUMES. Thankyou for a very well thoughtout "read". [I have reread it twice............work with me, I am getting old]

David Berner said...

My friend Victor wrote this and I posted it for him. I'm glad you liked it.

David Berner said...

I hhave written twice about Bruce Allen in the last few days, both times denouncing him for the crude thoughtless excuse for a human being that he is. What more would you have me say?

You want freedom of expression, but you also want to tell me how to express myself. Huh?

Anonymous said...

Sorry David let me expand.

Have you interviewed Mr. Allen in a previous life? Having never listened to him I am trying to understand where this hateful rant comes from.

And now I hear that all of Vancouver's elite are coming out in support of him such as Wally Oppal, Larry Campbell, David Foster, ...

i wonder when the Premier will give him the Order of BC.

David Berner said...

I haven't interviewed Bruce Allen. But I did have and absolutely dreeadful personal experience with hi, which conformed his reputation as a bipolar psychopath.

About eight years ago, he invited me for lunch and told me that he wanted to represent me. He then got me a secret interview with the owner of the the biggest and best Talk Station in the country (Toronto's CFRB.)

Next he phones me from Germany in the middle of some concert he's managing.

Hot, hot, hot.

NEXT...he won't take my calls.

Nothing happened between us between the time he's all over me and the time he's he's all over with me.

What? Did he hear a rumour that I was a terrorist?

The man doesn;t have opinions or thoughts. He has reactions, instincts, gut aches. He is flat nuts.

I ran into him one morning at YVR. I smiled and said hello and he almost swallowed his adam's apple.

Like all blowhards, he is coward cry-baby.

End.

Anonymous said...

David, as a Member in good standing of the "Bipolar Psychopaths R Us" group, I must voice my displeasure of you lumping Mr/Miss/Ms/Master Allen in with our midst. He, to my knowledge has never attempted to join our merry throng, and if he did, we would show him the door. "Hit it".

[I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wern't out to get me.]

David Berner said...

Of course, I once tried to join Paranoids Anonymous, but the bastards wouldn't tell me where the meeting was!

Anonymous said...

I am a little late with my comment, however, I wanted to say that I always appreciate Victor's guest blogs with his common sense take on things as well as his amusing way of making his point and turn of phrase. Thank you David for including your friend -- look forward to more from Victor.

Yes, we should be able to say what we feel, but as a previous commentator noted, this must be done with respect. As noted by Victor's "thanks alot Bruce" his ignorant rant makes it all the more difficult for us to have a reasonable discourse about something that is being talked about regularly in peoples' homes.

Bruce Allen is objectionable for many reasons and I agree he should not be part of the 2010 organization. In a certain way, however, it seems like a perfect fit as I find the whole 2010 machine fairly objectionable.