Sunday, October 28, 2007

City Completely Dysfunctional


A good friend spends much of his time these days around City Hall.


If I told you half of what he tells me, we'd all be sued.


Suffice it to say that the themes are consistent.


Nobody can get anything done.


No large projects are moving forward.


The Mayor has no idea about any of this or what to do about it.


The staff don't talk to the Mayor.


The Mayor, devoting all his time to re-election and getting drugs to addicts, is completely out of the loop at City Hall. His interest in the daily affairs of state is less than zero, and that is only matched by his knowledge of current affairs.


Nevertheless, the pathetic NPA have given this idiot a complete Pass; his candidacy will not be contested.


Which leaves COPE and Vision to come up with a winner, without splitting the vote.


Lord help us that they have the strategic wisdom to join forces and push the little fellow down the OUT ramp next November.


A banker sitting next to me at a fundraiser last Sunday had this comment after Sam received an underwhelmingly damp response:


"At first I was proud of this city that we could elect a quadriplegic as mayor. But it soon became evident that it's all about Sam. He's dreadful."

3 comments:

Robert W. said...

David,

I think I'm indicative of the paradox faced by many sensible voters these days. I will never vote for any party in bed with the public sector unions. That rules out COPE and Vision. Yet Sullivan is a strange guy at best and who knows what at worst. Remember that the NPA leadership contest was between him and Mrs. Marrison. Are these two THE BEST that a center or right-of-center party can find? Are they even in the top 25%? I think not.

So what to do? I think that during the next civic election I'll conveniently find myself on a business trip somewhere!

Robert

Anonymous said...

Here is an example of how strange things are at City Hall. I sent an e-mail addressed to Mayor and Council. Got back a message that said my letter had been forwarded to, among others, the Chief of Police's office. Is this paranoia or what? Thank God I don't live in Vancouver or they'd probably be at my doorstep! Cheers.

MurdocK said...

The best I can see happening in Vancouver "silly Hall" is a decision process 'by committee' - but the solutions are only going to be implemented by the city staff, who as far as I can tell loathe the Mayor and his NPA councillors, thus making for a total non-working arrangement in the vital city operations department.

Ultimately the 'minimum' will get done, but as far as anything 'new' or on the horizon? That is a blank wall that will remain unimagined until the city is forced to deal with the consequences of 'collective' ignorance.

Why 'collective'? All citizens of the city are supposed to be taking some measure of interest in the goings on around them, that is why we have elections - so that these issues may have a 'champion' selected whom will then go on to work on the issues; or at least be a cartaker.

Silly Sam is neither, he is not doing any great works and will not even deign to deal with the needed day-to-day caretaking.

The remainder of the council is so divided as to make the whole group a lame-duck.

This is what comes from the 'weak mayor' system that Vancouver is using...expecially when the stakes for maiking $$$ are so high.