Monday, October 29, 2007

Parenting - The New Surrey Crime


The headine says, "Car Thieves Take Surrey Tot for a Ride."


But that's not the story.


Not by a mile.


The story is that the idiot irresponsible father of a 2-year old girl leaves the child in his Lexus SUV while he goes into a so-called convenience store at 10 pm!


Why is he not charged with leaving his car running, abandoning his child, bad parenting, aiding and abetting a criminal act and generally being a danger to his community?


Two years ago, I encountered exactly this circumstance in the shopping district on West 10th Avenue, an infant alone in a van. I looked everywhere for a parent. I hollared. Finding no one, I called the police. Before they arrived, the genius "mother" emerged from a tanning salon with a magazine and a ciggie.


"Is this your baby?"


"Yes."


"I called the police."


"What for?"


The police arrived, nothing happened except that I was viewed by the woman and one of the two officers as a meddling alarmist old fool.


Next time I see a baby abandoned in a van, guess what?


I'm going to call the police again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, you should have kept the baby. It would be better off with you.

Anonymous said...

Vancouver Police are lazy! You know that!
I heard of one instance where a kid was introuble,drowning I think and the person that could save them didn't because he didn't want to be mistaken for a child molester.Society has gone to far!

Anonymous said...

I agree, keep the baby, and drop the SUV off at my house. It's really a shame that abortions can't be retroactive. No, not for the baby, for the "non parent"!

David Berner said...

Lexus, 10
Baby, 0