Thursday, November 22, 2007

NIMBY alive and well in Richmond


We urgently need addiction treatment centres.


Turning Point has quietly and successfully been running addiction treatment centres for years. They are a private, non-profit agency, run not by government fools, but by people who know and understand addictions and the road to recovery.


Turning Point is adding a few houses and beds to its inventory in Richmond.


Of course,some neighbours are screaming Not in My Neighbourhood. In fact, they are calling their mistaken, short-sighted, evil, selfish, pig-headed campaign of hate and stupidity "Not in Anybody's Backyard."


Of course, the addicts come from everybodys backyard and they cannot find the road back downtown.


Neighbours have been living quite nicely now for almost 30 years next to Turning Point and other recovery houses, often without being aware of their presence.


People scream for more treatment for their addicted children; they just don't want the treatment too near to them.


Fools.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are addicts living in EVERY neighbourhood in Vancouver. Every person I know has a friend, relative or collegue who is battling or has battled an addiction of some sort (alchohol and/or street drugs). Incidently, I am not an "edgy person" I am a thirty seven year old married professional woman with two small children. My whole persona screams "vanilla"

I would welcome a small, effective treatment center in my neighbourhood. People with addictions ALREADY live here (and everywhere) - it would be nice if there was more support for them.

Anonymous said...

David,

Have you heard of the "housing first" model? What are your thoughts?

http://www.pathwaystohousing.org/Articles/PTHPress/ProgrampioneeringHousingF.html

Mo.

Anonymous said...

David, I can sadly confirm that addicts are everywhere.

I live in the heart of Kits. On occasions when I leave my building via the alley doors, it's not uncommon to see a few of the blue needle casings (hope that's the correct term) in the parking lot, the same parking lot used by neighborhood children to play hockey and skateboard.

A few nights ago, someone left a good sized smear of blood where s/he had shot up. A few years ago, this would have made me think twice about living in that location. But then I asked myself, if the problem is here, then where ISN'T it?

Many people need to realize that the addicted aren't confined to a certain area. I'd argue that those protesting against treatment centers in their area are doing themselves (and the addicted) a disservice over the long run...all in the name of what, property values?

Andre Gide said, "Society knows perfectly well how to kill a man and has methods more subtle than death"