Sunday, December 9, 2007

Kim Wouldn't Know the Truth if She Fell in a Barrel of it


Kim Capri can't tell the truth.


She never for a nono-second spoke about my thoughts on drug addiction. She never asked me a thing about this subject. It never came up.


I did not give her an angry rant.


I quietly told her what I thought after she told me far too many times how disappointed she was in me.
Often when you tell people something unpleasant they remember it as yelling.


Why write to the Province?


She doesn't know when to quit.


Here is her letter published today. It is full of falsehoods.



LetterPublished: Sunday, December 09, 2007


David Berner is fully entitled to his opinions, but it is important that he gets the facts correct.
I do respect some of his ideas about drug treatment, so I decided to call him and invite him to elucidate his thoughts.


I phoned the number on his business card. When he answered, I assumed that he, like myself, was working late.

Instead of a rational conversation about what we need to do to bring civility back to our city, he launched into an angry rant full of personal attacks.


At this point, I realized that my hopes for a reasonable conversation with some helpful feedback from him were futile.


I'm pleased to see he is now writing for The Province. The media loves having politicians to skewer. But Berner's column would have been far more interesting and helpful had he chosen to share some of his good ideas.


Coun. Kim Capri, Vancouver

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of anyone putting their home phone number on a business card. Why would you do that?

Anonymous said...

What a pig. No wonder someone dumped garbage in front of her high priced West side home. And, what did she do? Why, call a press conference, of course! This was such an earth shaking event that the media were suckered into responding to her. So we had to watch her on TV (that pony-tail is so fitting for an air-head). Why didn't she just clean up the mess?
She doesn't seemed to have learned life's lessons about being a grown-up person. All these attention-getting behaviours are evidence of a needy child.
Her latest idea on dumping the dumpsters (into which she should be dumped) will do away with the earnings of some of the homeless. Besides I saw Silly Sam tour a couple of blocks of the DTES which were all clean and nice. A cop told the camera man, it had been painted the night before. Let's see what's that saying: "It is true that you may fool all the people some of the time; but you can't fool all of the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln (1904)

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand this vapid woman. In fact, I sent her a nice little e-mail. Here is the copy. Was it too harsh?

I read your letter today in the Province. You know what? I don't believe a word of it. You are apart of the WORST city council in history. You have done NOTHING for this city.

DAVID BERNER FOR MAYOR!! At least he has half of a brain, which is more than I can say about you.

GOOD RIDDANCE in 2008! nah nah nah nah nah nah hey hey hey GOODBYE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...
I have never heard of anyone putting their home phone number on a business card. Why would you do that?"

Um....possibly because David works out of his home? Makes sense to me. It would be a tad inconvenient running to the neighbours to take phone calls..... :-)

Anonymous said...

If she read the column, I think she would have realized you were telling her, Sam and crew that they were the worst council in memory...and this kind of response proves it!

Anonymous said...

What's this? A rant? A rant? Does this mean you are bipolar like everyone else in the world---or that's what the message is on CNN?

For diversion today we had Oprah/Obama? What's next? Bushie & Sam?

Anonymous said...

David, you say that Kim's letter is an inaccurate account of your phone conversation. Please provide some details instead of the broad insinuation that she's lying and you're telling the truth.

I've had dealings with Kim and I've listened to and/or read you for years. Kim's style is not what I would describe as aggressive or mean-spirited. She is young, yes, but curious and compassionate. Her past work with the John Howard Society might give you an indication of her empathy for disadvantaged people. I'm not saying she can't have a bad day and let you have it, but I've never seen her blow her cool -- ever.

Whereas your blog for the past year has rarely wavered from a highly cynical view of the world. There is a lot of anger coming off these pages. I guess that's your schtick. I don't disagree that there is much to be angry about. Occasionally you point the way with an interesting article or a comment, but most of the time you just come off as bitter.

Your rants against City Hall are interesting because they come off as someone who has been spurned by a former mate. You sat at the Mayor's table at his election fund raiser in 2005. You supported Sam publicly and slammed Jim Green, insinuating that the well-known barfly was not qualified to be the city's leader.

All this doesn't matter now. You've drawn your line in the sand. I hope for our sake that your public writing can offer solutions and insight. I suspect, however, that the Province editors and those who share your anger are not interested in this. I expect we're going to get a lot more jesting cynicism and jeering nicknames for people who've adopted public lives over private.