Friday, January 4, 2008

Excellent Comment on this Morning's Column

Harm reduction,harm reduction. The mantra of harm reduction grows ever louder.Where is the corresponding chorus for "treatment"It appears we have a Provincial Harm Reduction Committee,I don't believe I've heard about any treatment committee. I am surprised to hear about the millions that are saved by reducing infection rates but so far I've heard nothing about those multi-millions going into funding treatment.I read recently that there are 126 publicly funded treatment beds in Vancouver(with waiting times of weeks). I think anybody who lives in Vancouver(and the rest of B.C. for that matter) knows that this is totally inadequate.I believe that authorities are acting as if it's impossible to deal with addiction. Instead, they are funneling vast amounts of money at programs that seem to act as if it is compassionate to have people staggering around half dead. How about giving people a chance at life without addiction?I wonder sometimes who benefits most from the ever growing population of sick,ill addicts.

Chris
West 1st Avenue

No comments: