Saturday, January 26, 2008

Roger...Please get a Coach


Roger Federer, the man chasing tennis history, the man many of us believe to be the best we've ever seen, lost in the semi-finals last night to Novak Djokovic.


All credit to the young Serb, who was magnificent, beating Federer in 3 sets.


Federer was gracious in defeat, acknowledging that "The Joker" was clearly the better player on that court on that day.


But he added a new thought during the post-match press conference.


“Of course I’ve created a monster, so I know I need to always win every tournament. But semis is still, you know, pretty good.”


I will return to my plea, posted here back in December.


Roger...get a coach!


It is true, he is great, wonderful, amazing, the best.


But even Roger needs a coach on hand to point out the thousand and one little steps and miscues that can creep into elite performance.


Please, get a coach, so I can witness history when you win your 13th, 14th and 15th Grand Slam titles.


With Djokovic, Tsonga and a few other young studs on the horizon, that achievement has suddenly become less assured.

No comments: