Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don't Tell Your Doctor that you're Sick


It's not often that I can be genuinely shocked by something in the news.

But I confess that this story about local doctors refusing to take patients with cancer and other serious illnesses has done just that.

"I was told my mother's pain was not the doctor's problem." Then the receptionist tried to book her for a botox appointment.

I suppose in a world that watches the excrescence known as "Nip 'n Tuck," anything is possible.

But aren't doctors supposed to...like, you know...help the sick?

Read this frightening story here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This does not surprise me. Some Docs have been cherry picking for years. I have experienced it. Many Family physicians screen a prospective patient prior to deciding if they will accept him/her - and often they will not. It is not only cancer - it may be older people, chronic illnesses, etc. There are doctors who ask you to fill out a form before they decide if they will accept you. Often they will not. Now that it has happened with cancer, perhaps the college will look into this. It is a disgrace!!

BTW there is a website - RateMDs.com where you can rate your physician and see patient ratings of other physicians - Canada, USA, etc.

Anonymous said...

Oh do I miss my old family doctor. Dr. Birnbaum.
Kind,smart and willing to listen.
Trying to find a doctor today is horrid.
I have tried to find a new family physician in the last couple of years and am amazed at how they won't look at you if you say the word cancer.
Younger friends have had doctors say "no thanks, I won't deliver babies."
don;t know where the problem lies but it is not going to be pretty as baby boomers push the boundaries of medical care.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous.. it is obvious where the problem lies, these 'doctors' entered the profession purely for monetary gain, they want to live by the ocean, have the mercedes and dine out every night without interruption.

Hypocratic oath be damned.

Until the college hauls some of these idiots up before them, then suspends them for life for failure to live by their sworn oath, things will not get better.