Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Liz Takes Up The Hat



'Morning David...and good on you for asking the question about the ICBC chops shops. It'll be interesting to see if there's any, believable, response.

On the matter of hards hats, though, I'm afraid I disagree. While there's no doubt Sikhs have been working without them for decades, I don't think that's a good reason for continuing to allow that to happen. To bolster my argument...

- We used to drive without seat bellts
- We were used to people smoking us out of the restaurants
- We used to ride bikes and ski slopes without helmets
- We used to allow one person to enter a closed space
- We used not to conduct lightning-strike truck inspections
- We used to have plenty of money, beds and staff in our hospital emergency rooms
- And we used to expect people to take [financial] responsibility for their own actions...
... well you get my drift.

Fact is, times have changed. We've learned a heck of a lot over the years and, personally, I support those who believe we should require a hard hat be worn by all workers in risky industries...

Cheers,
Liz

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing that bothers me most about a "study" is that it becomes impersonal, filled with statistics and ends up going nowhere.
Crystal meth is disastrous and causes more violence than any drug i have seen up to now (except for PCP).
Whenever I hear the "let's legalize everything" group spouting off I'm not sure if they have ever seen the violence.
If they have, they're obviously stuck in "nothing can be done to get people off drugs"

Anonymous said...

Far few people ride bicycles because of the bicycle helmet law.
Forcing people to wear helmets on the ski slopes will ruin the ski industry, and hurt ski tourism.
Those who do wear helmets, will take greater risks negating any benefits from helmets.

Robert W. said...

I had sushi with an Indian friend of mine last night. He's not a Sikh but his wife is.

For what it's worth, he absolutely feels that everyone in such work roles should be wearing hard hats, thus totally agreeing with Liz.

Let me share a little guilty pleasure with you though: I am going to delight watching the politically correct company and government safety officials battling against the religious morays of an ethnic minority. I already have an opinion on who will "win" but will keep it close to my vest for now.

Anonymous said...

"-we used to allow one person to enter a closed space."
I don't get that. What is that about?

Anonymous said...

The "closed space" comment stumped me as well. Possibly it was a referral to single occupancy automobiles (one person in an automobile = a closed space)and high occupancy only lanes....??

June