Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tell me Another One


Why do I have trouble buying into Premier Campbell's regular announcements of more homes for the homeless?

So Covenant House will get several million dollars and 32 new beds.

Alright.

I have the same credibility problem with Covenant House as I do with the premier.

I do know that from the get-go Covenant House has been masterfully marketed.

I do know that most of the "new" housing units are old hotel rooms.

I do not see the federal government and the provincial government joining hands to create entirely whole new living spaces.

I do see offensive foto ops.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey David where is the picture with the Maui numbers? Wouldn't it be more appropriate than the one you have with the smarmy smurk?

Anonymous said...

Convenant House actually does help downtown street kids. The Nutty Mayor and Gordo the Great live in their own reality. Life is one terrific photo op.
Yesterday Sam (let's create a police state) Sullivan was quoted on CKNW at 6:30 AM announcing that 65% of the folks going downtown to work everyday, WALK to get there. He added that Vancouver is the first city in North America to achieve this goal. Not having seen the hordes on the bridges I phoned NW and suggested they might want to modify the news. Then sent ThinkCity (Gordon Price's effort) a notice and suggested an INTERVENTION may be needed. So far he hasn't replied!

David in North Burnaby BC said...

"65% of the folks going downtown to work everyday, WALK to get there."

They might have included DTES drug dealers. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you one person who doesn't walk to work...

SAM SULLIVAN!

(I hear he has a van...)