Tuesday, July 8, 2008

lol


45.4 million text messages a day in Canada.

Let me guarantee you that 44 million of those are sent by people under the age of 24.

43 million say something like, " class so boring!!! CU @ 'bucks, order me a machiatto."

Which is oddly enough not unlike the millions of terribly important cell calls that are made every day by people yelling into their chest cavities in front of vegetable stands, walking down the street and the hallways of colleges.

Here's my idea.

National Shut the Fuck Up Day.

This would be every Sunday or Thursday.

Which, in the interests of Harmony on Earth, Rogers and Bell and Telus and Fido would all agree to close down all services once a week.

You're familiar with TGIF.

Try TGIQ - Thank God It's Quiet.

As for the telcoms charging for incoming text messages, including absolutely unasked for garbage, who didn't see that coming?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ticked about Bell planning to charge me for incoming messages. All I know is I will be calling Bell every time they send me a text, demanding that I not be charged on my bill.

Then, to add insult to injury, they inform me they're charging me an extra 2 bucks a month for my voice mail and caller ID.

I know, I'm a big whiner. 2 bucks here, 15 cents there...but it adds up. I can't believe the $50 I pay every month isn't enough for these corporate fat cats!

I dream for the day when the CRTC has an inquiry into the cell phone providers of Canada. Will anything ever come of it? Highly doubtful!

Robert W. said...

I'm of 2 minds about this new incoming message charge. First, anyone who has dealings with cel phone users outside of Canada knows that we have some of the very highest rates anywhere. It's quite shocking how expensive the little cabal of cel phone companies has made things.

But you also know that my feelings about all the morons talking & texting 24/7 are pretty much identical to yours. I've often thought that excessive cel phone use would be a perfect way for psychologists to track down prospective A.D.D. patients. Perhaps the cel phone companies should sell such information to the mental health professionals as a patient finder fee!

Grumpy said...

Text messaging is one of the last refuges of the brain-dead. We are fast losing our ability to communicate verbally.

Instead of good verbiage, we use the ancient Anglo Saxon F***.

Not happy with someone > F*** off.
Want sex > Let's F***.
Happy > F***ing great.
Unhappy > F***ing great.
Taken aback > F***ing hell.
Surprised > What the F***.
and so on.

We are quickly losing are ability to communicate coherently.

Anonymous said...

I reckon the reason for these new incoming text charges is due to messages being sent from computers which don't pay fees.
Also, there are new cordless DECT home phones capable of text messaging which are not charged for text messages.
The American telcos are charging for both incoming and outgoing text messages at 20 cents per message.

Anonymous said...

Bravo for NSTFUD

MurdocK said...

sounds like another negative option billing to me.

cancel your text ability and when the phone company sends me another 'happy birthday' message SUE THEM for failing to provide the service (of cancelled text)!