Tuesday, December 23, 2008

True Confessions


O.K. I just have to say this.

You know that James Stewart movie that everyone loves, that is played every year at this time, that is considered a "classic?" The movie is called "It's a Wonderful Life."

Can't watch it.

Hate it.

Saccharine slop. Worst thing Jimmy Stewart ever did.

Am I alone on this?

And while I'm at it.

You know that book and movie considered "An American Classic?" the one that's taught to 11 year-olds continent-wide like it's the Old and New Testaments combined? I speak of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Can't watch it.

Love Gregory Peck. Love so many of his movies.

This one? Boooooring...

And finally, John Wayne. The Duke.

Good-bye. Later. Don't buy it.

I've waited a lot of years to say these things.

Ah...better...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny. I've never been able to watch this movie all the way through, only managing a few scenes here and there over the years, but have always felt that I somehow "should" watch it because everyone seems to just love this movie. Thanks for relieving me of my guilt. I'm not the only one who can't take the saccharine!

Mo.

Anonymous said...

Call me a sentimental, but I love It's a Wonderful Life.

I also love fruitcake with a thick layer of marizpan.

How sweet it is.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannakah.

Linda Yuill

Anonymous said...

I always watch "Its a Wonderful Life" every Christmas along with Alistair Sim's version of "A Christmas Carol". "Life" may be shamltzy but I love it.

Anonymous said...

I love "A Christmas Story". A family that looks completely chaotic is actually a family that has fun with each other and laughs a lot and accepts each other quirks.
Who says you have to be perfect?