Wednesday, December 17, 2008

VIctor on Gimme Shelters


Last night I had the misfortune to catch a moment of Gordon Campbell and Gregor Robertson on the evening news making their joint announcement about homelessness. This excellent piece by my friend Victor arrived several hours before that TV soap opera. I don't know why, but I just felt a little sick watcing these two honorable gentlemen talking about homelessness and showing us their deep concern. I fear I have become dreadfully cynical now about politicians in general and these two in particular. Anyway...read Victor...it's good for you.

Is it not amusing how quickly and unabashedly "Global Warming Gord"
has jumped into the homeless rescue plan with dire mutterings about
record cold temperatures. Seems like only weeks ago he was warning us
that the world was warming at disastrous rates.

This kind of cynical exploitation by politicians explains a lot of the
reason why charities are telling us that donations are down. It isn't
because of the recession. Restaurants are full and you can't budge in
the afternoon traffic. I suggest there are three reasons.

1. Political Posturing

The last 4 Mayors, including Robertson, have portrayed themselves as
champions of the downtrodden. Council has functioned with an obsession
for the Downtown East Side for 10 years. If all of that government
preoccupation and money has only resulted in the situation becoming
worse, why would people be inclined to add their own cash? Compassion
in the absence of common sense is neither laudable nor practical.

2. Phony Data.

The "homeless industry" has virtually lost credibility with
progressively alarmist releases. The one that stands out for me is
Covenant House. (ConJob House). They have an ad claiming they
supported 1900 homeless youth last year. That's 5 a day, or a lot less
if some of those "homeless youth" stayed more than a day. Hardly an
epidemic. And what counts as a homeless youth/? If a snotty 17 year
old has a tiff with his parents and stays out for two nights, is he
homeless?

3. Misreading Polls

The media routinely tell us that homelessness is a major concern in
all polls. Municipal Politicians have interpreted that concern as the
public telling them that they want government housing provided
indefinitely to anybody from anywhere who is on the street for any
reason. Why isn't that question asked? I suspect that much of the
"concern" registered with pollsters is a concern about being unable to
park a car without having it robbed. Irritation is being misconstrued
as compassion.

I expect there are some, who upon reading this, will conclude I'm a a
hard-nosed neocon. To them I would say that I make a living helping
First Nations struggle out of poverty. To them I would ask " What has
your fat ass done for the oppressed lately besides chat to pollsters
and drop change in the hat of a meth-head?"

Victor Godin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Victor's article isn't one of the best thought out articles that I have ever read, I don't know what is. I too, over the years, have learned not to fall into the "Trap" that has been set for us to blindly participate in. I practice the old " if you GIVE a person a fish..... but if you TEACH a person to fish....... Works for me, because I REALLY want to help those less fortunate than me.