Thursday, March 5, 2009

ARGUMENTS


A friend writes:

Honestly, David, you are becoming too cynical. At first I thought it was sadistic humour but every day seems a little more jaded. And what makes you think that you can call people liars and jackboots - totally unsubstantiated allegations?

I think you should take a holiday, as I am tomorrow. I'm off to Chicago and Atlanta for two weeks to see my grandchildren and I hope when I return you are less confrontational and more constructive.

Take care. Barbara.

I reply:

I'm sorry you feel that way, Barbara.

I am not cynical at all, never have been.

I am critical of bad public behaviour and I am glad of that.

An RCMP officer who completely misrepresents the truth that is clearly revealed on videotape is a liar. What is so mysterious about that? To make matters worse he is the first person on whom we should depend for the truth.

And for his massive over-reaction that resulted in this poor man's unnecessary death, he is rightly called a jackboot and a thug.

If you are more angry at me for my comments than you are at the Policeman, then it is you who needs to rethink things.

Don't worry about my bleating. Worry about a once proud police force that has lost its way.

Enjoy your grandkids and trust that the police, who are supposed to serve and protect them, do it more honestly than our Richmond RCMP.

Cheers,

David

Another writer accuses me of being an unworthy reporter because I say that Constable Millington has lied under oath.

This morning I read that Don Rosenbloom, the very capable lawyer representing Poland, accused Millington yesterday of lying under oath.

The honorable officer couldn't explain why he and his colleagues all had the same pat story, which was completely contradicted by the evidence of a videotape.

It is a great curiosity to me why people are more concerned with my credentials or my mental health than they are with the state of police work in this neck of the woods.

If the police are lying and swarming dangerous people armed with staplers, what gulag are we living in?

I continue to live under the delusion that Canada is a democracy guided by certain principles. If I ask uncomfortable questions about the behaviour of public officials, who by the way, have been hired and trained apparently to serve and protect us, than I am fulfilling my vision of what a citizen aught to do.

If you want everything to be nice, take another medication and go back to reading Vogue and Western Living.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,

You write that democracy in Canada is a delusion, even as we watch a duly constituted judicial enquiry pry open police secrecy to reveal the truth.

On the same page, you spew forth unadulterated praise for Mayor Robertson, despite his presiding over a dramatically increased number of in camera meetings at City Hall. Especially after he campaigned against them in a promise of more open government. Not to mention his strategic abuse of city by-laws to avoid bringing contracts to cronies to council for public debate.

Which of the two is a better indication of principled democracy in action?

Anonymous said...

David, you are not too cynical nor an unworthy reporter - you are telling it as it is.

The local media is too busy dishing out pablum and reporters shy away from real stories.

Kudo's to you David and keep it up. I may not always agree with you but your blog is refreshing and provides the news that the two CanWest dailies do not.

Anonymous said...

David,
You have absolutely no credibility. You did not rate a mention on the govenments' list of "Trusted Jounalists". How can we ever believe you again...
Seriously though... only this lot can make that grand old word "trusted" into a pejorative.

David in North Burnaby BC said...

"It is a great curiosity to me why people are more concerned with my credentials or my mental health than they are with the state of police work in this neck of the woods."

Really, Sir David? Oh, well, it goes like this: they can't really refute your points so they turn to argumentum ad hominem and seek to change the subject to yourself instead.
You're welcome. ;-)

Anonymous said...

David , I am a fan. I liked your radio program on NW and I am happy to read your opinions on this blog. Your observations seem to be free of bias and fair.

If Barbara doesnt want to read bad news Im not sure where she can go. I suppose that everyone likes a positive story now and then. So if you want a positive story do not read about justice, politics, the mid east,the economy, etc.
Why that RCMP is not looking at a murder charge is beyond me. David just between you and me I own 5 unregistered staplers.

Anonymous said...

"David, you are not too cynical nor an unworthy reporter - you are telling it as it is".

"The local media is too busy dishing out pablum and reporters shy away from real stories". And that folks is EXACTLY why this Site is on my Desktop. I do not always see the World as David does, but he allows me to have a peek into his "World", and it is always food for thought.
A hungry mind is a healthy mind.......... er, I think!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Did these R.C.M.P. officers run into the airport and decide to kill someone? I don't think so.
Murder is a a huge word to use.
Were they negligent? Quite likely.
Or is it that they weren't trained well and didn't have senior officers with them?
Isn't it interesting that the actions of the ENTIRE airport have been forgotten now.
This should never have reached this point.

Anonymous said...

Did these R.C.M.P. officers run into the airport and decide to kill someone? I don't think so.
Murder is a a huge word to use.
Were they negligent? Quite likely.
Or is it that they weren't trained well and didn't have senior officers with them?
Isn't it interesting that the actions of the ENTIRE airport have been forgotten now.
This should never have reached this point.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Berner,

Don't change for anyone. You're the best at what you do.