Monday, March 23, 2009

STORY


I had a heart attack.

For those who might have been checking in on the blog and wondering where I had gone, the place was VGH.

Here's the story.

For about a week, I had been feeling the recognizable symptoms of angina - pain the in the shoulders and arms, lower jaw and teeth, shortness of breath and some tightness in the chest.

Recognizable, because I had an angioplasty procedure done at VGH in June 2005, in which a drug-infused stent was inserted to pry and keep open a blocked coronary artery.

On Friday at 6pm, I went swimming at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre. Great time to go, by the way. Very quiet.

I did my usual 500 metres, stopping at the end of each 50 metre length for a moment or two. On Friday, I couldn't help but notice a real shortness of breath and the unavoidable fact that both arms from shoulders to hands hurt and felt heavy and buzzing.

Stubbornly, I persisted, finished my routine, enjoyed a bit of a shvitz in the sauna and the whirlpool, showered, dressed and went home to a quiet dinner and evening.

I went to bed about 11:30.

At ten to one a.m., I woke up suddenly with pain in both arms.

I tried a blast of nitroglycerin, which seemed to provide short relief. I put on my heart monitor, found that my heart rate was low, but o.k. and tried another shot of nitro.

Then I thought I might try to go back to sleep. All along, the number 911 was very much on my mind.

I lasted less than four seconds of pillow time, and sat up with the full realization that calling emergency was my only choice.

Within six minutes, eight uniformed and brilliantly equipped firemen and paramedics were milling around my kitchen.

By 1:30 I was in a bed at VGH emergency ward.

Around 9 am, the doctors appeared, one of whom was my original operating surgeon, the aptly named, Dr. Saw. You can't write material like this.

The doctors confirmed that another angiogram and possibly angioplasty was in order. The "lab" or operating theatre is normally not up and running on the week end, but, they assured me, if an emergency or two appeared, they would be at work and they would piggy-back me into the rotation.

Of course, by the time I had been transferred to the Cardiac Care Unit, around noon on Saturday, two emergencies had presented themselves. I was wheeled in for action shortly after 3pm.

An hour and two new stents later, I was returned to my favorite bed in CCU 15.

I should add that before and after the procedure, there was a most welcome run of friends and family and loved ones all. Do not underestimate for a second, the huge importance of that love and support. It is everything, believe me.

I slept well and on Sunday, the doctors informed me that not only had I had a revisiting attack of angina, but I could now claim my first heart attack. A small one, sure enough, but real. Yikes!

They sent me home at 3pm.

I stood outside in the sunshine on 10th Avenue, near Willow, waiting for my daughter to pick me up.

I thought for a moment about the people who think I am cynical.

If only they knew what an unrelenting optimist I am.

"Only twenty-four hours ago," I babbled quietly to myself, "I had a heart attack. Now I am standing in sunshine. Miracle of miracles!"

Catherine came along with her beloved little pooch, "Rocky," and we went to the pharmacy and bought only $550 worth of medicines for the next year. While the pharmacist did his magic, we had a coffee and a snack.

I slept very well last night. I have no pain. I am tired and weak, but I will walk about one block today as per the post-op instructions.

I am in shock. I am a little weepy with a mix of emotions. And I am happy to be alive.

I may not blog for the next few days.

But, as we say in radioland, "Stay tuned."

As for you...stay young, eat your veggies, sing favorite songs, rarely refuse sex, and keep trying to understand The Mysteries...

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Please remember David that denial isn't a river in Egypt . . . . it's a sure fire way to kill yourself. I'm betting you didn't have a heart attack and 24 hours there you were, "standing in the sunshine". You had it about nine days ago when the first undeniable signs appeared and had you admitted it right away you would have got away with a lot less cardiac damage than you did.

Hopefully there is no next time but if there is, please GO TO THE HOSPITAL, (preferably by ambulance)

This from someone who just retired after 24 years of street para medicine there in your neighborhood and who had their own cardiac event 12 years ago. Only difference is that I had a full arrest and I also "had the sense" to have it in the middle of an ambulance call with advanced life support medics right beside me.

12 years later with a triple by-pass and an indwelling cardiac pacemaker/defibrillator I'm carrying on as best I can.

Anonymous said...

David, I am glad all is well with you. The emergency services workers are wonderful and the numerous times i had to call for my mother, I had nothing but a high regard.

Now down to business and this might send you into cardiac arrest. it seems the hapless NDP have elected an anti-Zionist (it seems to be the fashion in Canada today) to run in the next election!

From Tielman's blog:

"Quote: "Mable Elmore is a far-left, radical, self described "anti-Zionist" activist."

If this is true, kiss the NDP good bye! Is Carole James that stupid to let this happen? The answer is yes, because she would not allow men to run!

When this province needs an astute and conservative party to run against Gordo, they pick flakes and idiots.

God help me but I will not vote NDP as long as Carole James is at the helm.

This province is at risk, under Campbell's regime and Carole James fiddles with our future - It's a GOD DAMN GREEK TRAGEDY!"

As you say; "God, you can't write this stuff!

Get well, rest - there is heavy work to be done!

Anonymous said...

David,
I wish you the very best of health. Your daily blog entertains and informs me. Get back very soon.

Anonymous said...

Take care of you.

Anonymous said...

Be well, David.

Although we've never met,my daily jaunts to read your posts always provide fodder for conversations.

My best thoughts are with you this afternoon and will continue. What a miracle modern medicine really is... and I am thankful you called 911 when you did.
Now - off to buy a nice red to toast to good health.

Anonymous said...

Dear David:

I'm so happy to hear you're still with us...when you're feeling up for it let's do coffee...all the best, Greg Fryxo

Anonymous said...

David,

It's a life altering experience, is it not? TG for all those dedicated folks who keep us going. Take it easy.

DC

Anonymous said...

David,

I had a feeling something must have happened -- you are so true to your blog and kindly always inform your readers when you will be 'off-line' for a few days or so.

Please accept my best wishes for a most speedy recovery. We all want you around our little burg for a very, very long time. You know doubt will feel all the positive get well vibes coming from all your cyber friends.

Mo.

Anonymous said...

Be well David
What would we do without you?
w

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes. Been there done that along with a triple bypass. Not fun. Come back online soonest. Frank H.

Anonymous said...

My mother suffered a heart attack a few years ago. After returning from the hospital, a community nurse came by, and gave my mother some advice. One thing she told my mother to do was relax, and have others take care of chores and various tasks. I'm surprised you've written a blog post so shortly after such an event. Please, take a few days off, or weeks even, and rest up.

Craig Y.

Anonymous said...

David,

I'm glad to hear you dodged this unfortunate bullet. Please take it easy! Without you, this city would go to shit that much faster.

A big fan of yours from 'NW and now online,

Craig F.

Anonymous said...

David I just attended my dads funeral today. Came home did a few chores and logged on to read the blog.(your blog, the only one I make time for). Of course the old guy died of heart failure. He was 79 and smoked his entire life. The one thing his deteriorating health has shown me is that the health care system works. It is ready to burst at the seams but it works. I hope that you make a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear all turned out to be alright...

Anonymous said...

David, Live long(er) and prosper...

Anonymous said...

David,

I was a little concerned when I noticed that you hadn't updated the blog since Friday. I hoped you were enjoying another lovely Gulf Islands getaway.

I am really happy to hear that you recognized the symptoms and called for help. I am not at all surprised by the miraculous care by first responders and the medical community.

My Mom had a heart attack two years ago (age 87) and the story of how well she was taken care of by such kind, caring and professional people still makes me weep. (She's 89 now and doing very well, thanks to all of them.) Someday I will write it all down as a 'first-person' story in tribute to everyone involved.

It's great news that you are on the mend. Follow the doc's instructions and get lots of rest.

Cheers!

John

David in North Burnaby BC said...

All the best, Sir David, rest, recoup and be well. Probably best to lay off the blog for a while, tuff as that will be on us, your fans. After all, a day without a little Berner ...

Anonymous said...

David,

Maryanna and I wish you a speedy recovery and uneventful convalesence.

Please take the adivice of other friends on this stream of well-wishers: Take a month off. Relax.

May there be more sunshine in your life.

Blessings to you my friend.

L'chaim

Alex and Maryanna Tsakumis

TLABC said...

David,

Your flair for writing has not diminished. I regard that as an encouraging sign you will indeed be perfectly well, and soon (not soon enough for you, I know, but it will take some time).

The unfair and sadly ironic truth is that you take great care of yourself. You're active, full of life and you eat wisely. And such is the capricious nature of life. The contrast between your setback and that great picture you posted along with Monday's blog entry is living proof of this. But... I say the picture wins. It's yours.

And I nearly made it to the Langara Monologues debate last week. Sure wish I did. I will now look forward to your return to that forum and to this one, your brilliant blog.

Rest thoroughly and take great care of yourself. You can solve the issues of our day a little later.

Yours truly,
Bentley

Anonymous said...

I kept checking in wondering where you were....and if something had happened. I am so glad that you were well looked after and are on the mend. Please do exactly what your Docs ordered David. I'm sure many of us visit with you while we have our morning coffee.
You have hopefully learned that there is a time to push back and through - and a time to only pick up the telephone.

My friend Mabel passed away on Thursday. Her newspaper stayed outside her door and she was known to read it first thing. When a friend went in to check - Mabel was lying beside her bed and a bottle of orange juice was opened on her kitchen counter. She walked regularly and ate healthily - although she did wear a pacemaker. I can't help but wonder if she had signs of her heart attack and ignored them. Mabel was a gal who never complained and rarely asked for help - a giver. She was found with one arm extended over her head.......to make a phone call? We will never know.

Those firemen and paramedics have invaded my kitchen on a few occasions too. They are terrific.

Be well David and look after yourself.

June

Anonymous said...

I prayed for you over the weekend, I knew something wasn't right. You are very fortunate to have family and friends,and good Dr.'s to help you pull through. I remember listening to you on NW a few years ago and you were oh so sad,your birthday was coming up. I guess you're jjust an emotional kinda guy. Nothing wrong with that.I'll take your advise on eating my veggies. Please, stay healthy. I wish you were back on the radio.

God speed,
cookie.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your illness. It seems you do all the right things to stay healthy.
I look forward to reading your blog daily for a very, very long time.
Of course that would mean I would be around too! -cheers

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are okay. I enjoy reading this blog and wish you rest and renewal. Your advice is timely and I am going to take better care of myself today than I have been lately.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's a commercial, but I'm pretty sure it will put a smile on your face. Imagine if this happened at a Skytrain station.

Anyway, 'life is for sharing'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM&feature=channel

Cheers,

Mo.

nachtwache said...

Robert wrote about your health troubles. Glad you're alright. It's scary when our bodies let us down.
Wishing you a full recovery and many more years to speak your mind.

Anonymous said...

David, I send you my wishes for a complete recovery with years of healthy life to follow.

Ron H

Anonymous said...

Thank god for Dr. Saw! That made me laugh.

Very glad to hear you are okay and recovering. Take it easy for a while and enjoy the sunshine more (when there is some).

Bill Tieleman said...

When I saw your headline "A Weekend Tale" I didn't bother reading it for a few days - quite the tale David! I am glad to hear you are doing well and had the best of care - all the best!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Look what happens when I don't check in for three days! My thoughts and prayers are with you, David.

Anonymous said...

David,

I'm thankfull that someone was looking over that night.
We all love you, and take as much time as you need, and I look forward to your next blog.

Be well my friend.

RossK said...

Jeebuz, Mr. B.... What a trooper!

Now.

Visiting you regularly in the bloggodome is one thing, but....if you were to go on the DL for any length of time how would we ever get through tennis season without you?

So you be darned sure to take care, because we expect/demand full reports of every single grand slam tourney from now through two thousand sixty-two.

RossK

.

Robert W. said...

David,

When you are back to being on your computer, I offer you this as a small example of how glorious it is to be alive! (P.S. Turn up your speakers!)

Wishing you good health and a rapid recovery!

Robert

Anonymous said...

as nice as it is to read all of these get well wishes and as sad as Im sure all are that you are temporarily out of touch, How about a taste. A tid bit a smidgen, an iota, a faint hope, a sign, anything to let us all know your getting better.

Anonymous said...

Or.....If you are not up to posting, perhaps one of your friends could give us an update?

I know that heart problems can create emotional upheavals and I hope all is well with you.

One day at a time David.


June

Anonymous said...

David, are you on the mend? I very much hope so!

Waiting your return.