Sunday, April 12, 2009

One Man's Meat


It is now worth $15 Billion.

And it celebrated its 200 millionth loser...uh, I mean, user.

I am proud to say that I have nothing to do with it or Twitter or LinkedIn or any of the other myriad so-called "social networking" tolls that litter the public moonscape these days.

I am please to day that I don't get it.

I am overjoyed to not get it.

There is no doubt in my crumbling old mind that with each incremental increase in these devil's toys comes double the inability for people to actually, really communicate. There has rarely been such a social disconnect in human history. Rarely been such untender self-interest and refusal to recognize The Other.

So Up your Wall, Facebookers, and text away RIMmers.

I plant myself firmly on my old John Deere tractor and whistle a happy tune.

4 comments:

Lisa. A said...

David,

You Rock!
The devil's toys. Yes, Yes, Yes.

How is it going?, I hope you are taking care of yourself; Maybe you could give us a update?.

Love you.

Robert W. said...

David, my mom, who is still in VGH, asked me if you were still hospitalized too. I enthusiastically told her that you were not!

As to your posting . . . I'm on Facebook. I resisted for a long time but a very pretty Italian woman from Montreal convinced me to join. Hey, I'm weak, I'm weak!

With that said, I view it as a simple social networking tool, not a whole lot different than e-mail. And in point of fact, it has sparked several new friendships amongst my friends to blossom; that otherwise wouldn't have ever occurred.

As for Twitter, I have a special term for those who are obsessed with it! (It won't take you long to figure out what that term might be! LOL)

Being a technology guy, I fully understand the power of Twitter to keep a vast number of people updated instantly but I refuse to accept that it's necessary or even useful to do so. Those who have convinced themselves that the world needs their regular updates is truly in need of a good psychologist!

What's much more disconcerting to me are those people we all see out in the "non-virtual world" who can't seem to muster even 30 seconds of continuous silence and time to ... wait for it ... think. Listening to them talk on the cel phone almost always illustrates the truly shallow thinkers they are. I surmise that the text messages they send out are even worse.

I'm not looking forward to the future when these same twits (there, I said it!) are the ones responsible for paying the taxes to pay for things when I'm retired.

Jason C. Johnson said...

Bang on David! You must be feeling better. Keep the wisdom flowing....

TLABC said...

David,

I share your rejection of what I call Disgracebook. It's as if the cyberworld wants everyone to forget there's a real world outside our 'walls' - not good. Wish I could be assured the heavy abusers of Face would at least push away from their computers when the weather turns nice... but I remain concerned.

Bentley