Saturday, March 31, 2007

Closed for Business - As Usual


Yesterday, I had one of those special Canadian Business experiences that go a long way to explaining why we have one of the lowest GNP per capita in the civilized world.

I walked into a very large and fancy and one-of Travel offices, thinking I would talk to an agent about my current desire to go to the Galapagos Islands.

Here’s what I e-mailed the owner of the business when I got home.


"Why do we have the lowest GNP per capita in the Western World?

A visit to your offices this morning around noon explains all.

I live in the neighbourhood. I stopped by hoping to discuss with an agent a trip tp the Galapagos Islands.

Your receptionist looked at me like I had just emerged from a space ship. When I told her what I was looking for, she told me that all the agents were in a meeting.

Now, no doubt the meeting was fruitful and important.

But more important than a customer at the front desk? A call couldn't have been made to bring one agent out from the meeting on the off chance that YOU MIGHT DO SOME BUSINESS?

Your website tells me that you are a "full service agency." Do even know what those words mean?

I grew up in the service industry and do you know what I say about your shop?

I say, "Hahahahaha...good luck.""



A good friend points out that it’s time to write that book about horror stories in Canadian service.


Please add yours in the “comments” section below.

4 comments:

Robert W. said...

I wish I had the gumption to write what you did, David! But here are a couple of stories I can share with you:

1. A friend of mine, whose the manager of a restaurant in one of the prominent hotels in Victoria. As she did every week, one day she was depositing cheques and cash into her company's bank account.

The teller said to her, "You know, you can also deposit these into the ATM over there."

"Yes", my friend repliced, "but I prefer to do them here with you."

Not giving up, the teller said, "It might be quicker for you at the ATM though."

My friend lost it. "On your name tag it says 'Customer Service Representative'. What part of that don't you understand?! I'm not stupid. I've clearly told you waht I want to do. Why do you feel the need to keep arguing with me about this?"

2. One time I went out for dinner with a dozen friends of mine at a restaurant over on Main Street. We ate well and the bill came to a sizable amount. Upon leaving the owner came running up to us and exclaimed that he had forgotten to add one small bowl of rice to the bill - Cost: $1.00. So a friend of mine walked back to the table, removed a loonie from the tip and slammed it down on another part of the table!

Anonymous said...

A personal favorite was the company that regularly serviced our car and would call about a week after a given appointment to see how everything went and if we were satisfied. Well, one time in particular we were NOT satisfied and I proceeded to explain why -- the woman who called quickly pointed out that she wasn't able to do anything about our problem and that perhaps I should call the Service Department with my complaint -- to which I said, why the hell was she calling me then and to please, never call me again if she wasn't able to actually help me. Obviously they wanted to give the impression of providing service, while not actually doing so. You gotta love it.

Mo.

nachtwache said...

Our vehicle bit the dust before Christmas, needing a new one rather quickly, my husband found one at a dealer near our home, who happened to deal with a financial institution where we bank as well. They set up the financing, my husband took care of the paperwork, only my signature was still needed. I just had day surgery and we went from the hospital straight to the "bank" to sign the papers. I must have been still a bit groggy, only the next day did I see that we were expected to pay for life insurance. I called the finance officer handling our file and explained, that we have our own life insurance and don't need any from the bank. The bank manager came on the phone, telling me, part of the deal on getting the loan, was that we got life insurance from them. I explained again, that we didn't need it....going back and forth, the manager got quite rude, saying, we could try to get financing elsewhere, and good luck trying to unravel the contract, that was the condition to get the loan ...I forced myself to stay calm and polite, repeating that we didn't need it...finally he consented, saying we could write our life insurance over to them.
I called our insurance agent only to find out, that it is "illegal" for any finance institution to "tightsell", as it's called, life insurance.
I got financing from my own bank, where I've been a customer for over 20 years, they were great. I called ENQUIRY B.C., who'll connect you with the right branch of the government, that deals with businesses that break the rules. I refused to talk to that rude manager again, my husband phoned to tell them we didn't want their loan, we had no trouble getting the contract dissolved. I had a special constable come to my house and interview me about my dealings with that particular credit union. They haven't heard the last of this yet. Don't even get me started on the car dealership!! And Air Canada! My daughter traveled as an unacompanied minor, to see her grandparents in Europe, she got ill and vomited in the bathroom, they made her clean the toilette! Would they have done that with an adult? I doubt it, no apology, just excuses. They've lost us as customers.

David Berner said...

Thank you for that amazing story. I am going to post it to the blog so that everone will be able to appreciate it.
Cheers,
David