Monday, October 22, 2007

Happy Talk, Keep Talking Happy Talk


You'll forgive my dark and morbid sense of humor, but I thought this morning's report that having happy thoughts doesn't cure cancer was long overdue.


Of course, when we are faced with mortality -as we actually are every day, if we want to think about it - the idea that I can will myself or yoga myself into good health is no doubt comforting.


But cancer is cancer and cancer could clearly care less about the mood I'm in or which sack cloth and ashes or summer hat I choose.


On the other hand, there is no question that meditation, hypnosis, group support, flowers, walks, swimming and especially companionship, love and friendship can make our leaving of this world less painful, anxious and miserable. Happy really is better.


So do not dismiss all the happy therapies. They are invaluable; they just won't keep you around any longer.

No comments: