Friday, July 11, 2008

Comment on Health $care$, posted Wednesday



Hi.

$880,000 for a health board CEO!!!

I am a front-line healthcare worker (Licensed Practical Nurse) with specialized training in palliative care and foot care for the elderly. (I paid for both programs out of my own pocket.) I have further training specifically regarding the care of elders with dementia. I subscribe to two nursing journals (paid for out of my own pocket) and do continuous study of any subject that might help in the care of the elderly in long term care (reflexology, aromatherapy, etc). All these courses (again) are paid for out of my own pocket.

I only make a small fraction of what this CEO earns (and without all the perks). Incidentally, come contract renewal time, I am sure that there will be many people ranting that I make too much LOL!

I currently work on a casual/on call basis. I had worked full time for ten years in the same field,. I had to give up my full time position because I have two children, ages three and one, and I can't afford quality childcare on the wage that I receive. Also, my work start and end times were out of sync with almost all certified daycare facilities. So I resigned from my full-time position and work only on weekends, when my husband isn't working. Finding a full-time replacement for someone with my experience is not easy. Also, workers are often asked to do overtime (increasing costs) because casual replacements are not available.

Perhaps, instead of paying CEOs outrageous salaries, childcare centers could be set up for healthcare professionals, many of whom work shifts with schedules that make finding childcare difficult. This way skilled workers could do their jobs on the working class salaries that they receive and rest assured their children are getting decent care as they work.

Keep in mind that most nurses are nearing retirement age. Most new nurses are at that age when they will be planning families. Most nurses are women. A system where nurses have access to affordable childcare will do a lot to alleviate the costs to the system.

Paying a CEO $880,000 drains money from a system without giving any substantial value back.

Linda Yuill, LPN

No comments: