Friday, July 11, 2008

Today's Province Column


Why is today's world increasingly peopled by ill-mannered louts?
David Berner
Special to The Province

The abandonment of good manners is a shame; the loss of civility is a tragedy.

Yesterday's Province story about a man who parked in a spot for the handicapped before slamming a car door twice on an amputee's leg is a case in point.

The other day, I was leaving a bank parking lot. A perfectly pleasant, fortyish woman in her perfectly pleasant family van drove in.

She parked diagonally across two parking spaces -- one of which was, of course, the handicapped spot. She smiled at me as if this was a perfectly normal thing for an able-bodied person to do.

Last month, I asked a girl who was doing the same thing at a Point Grey supermarket if she was, in fact, handicapped in any way --other than mentally and morally, that is. She said: "Oh, I'm just parking here for a moment."

I told her that a moment was a moment too long, and asked her how she would feel if she were disabled and couldn't find a place to park.

She told me I was rude and dove into her car. I'm rude? I'm not the able-bodied selfish fool who is parking in handicapped spots.

Last week, my son Sean and I were walking at Kits Beach. A man was sitting in his late-model bimmer, drinking beer and throwing empties out of its sunroof onto the grass.

While Sean went to retrieve the can, I leaned in through the roof and said: "What are you doing, sir?"

Before the man could finish sputtering, Sean, like a soldier tossing a hand grenade into an enemy tank, returned the empty to him.

On Wednesday, a girl in her late teens was using the "frigging" word liberally and with considerable volume at a local coffee shop.

When she and her friend stood up to leave, I was treated to a full view of way more than half her doughy posterior exploding out of her distressed jeans.

When it comes to lack of civility and decency, children using restaurant furniture as their own personal jungle gym has become the norm.

So has the sight of the parents sitting blithely by.

I can't for a second claim to have been a good parent. But I don't remember our children doing anything at restaurants other than eating and talking with us.

Is all this constant bad behaviour simply a generational thing? I'm a grouchy old guy and I just can't get with the program, right?

As the lady who tried to push past me on the bus said: "Chill out, man!"

When I was in high school, I played "Mr. Manners" in a slide-show presentation. How quaint. Can you imagine something like that being shown today?

People are not only yelling into their cellphones in theatres, restaurants, cafes and supermarket lines, they have taken to texting while driving.

I know, they're multi-tasking and I don't get it.

But let's imagine a world that is completely different.

Let's imagine showing each other basic courtesy and small daily considerations.

That's the kind of community we should all be raising our children to live in.

david@davidberner.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are spot on David - today's society it always all about "ME"

Robert W. said...

David,

Something is wrong with the way you pasted your column into your blog. One can't read the words on the right.

I would recommend first copying it into Notepad. Then reselect what's in Notepad and copy that into your blog. That should fix it.

Robert

Robert W. said...

Neo-liberalism has infested our society so dramatically that now an individual's [boorish] rights are paramount to those of the group. Should any member of the group inform the individual that they're a lout and an ignoramus, the individual will likely haul them in front of a Human Rights Commission ... and win. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

DAVE:

Check the format settings on this entry.
The words run off the edge of the page.
It can't be read, at least not from my connection at a public access terminal, using a Safari broswer, if you're interested.

I suspect it has something to do copying and pasting the story, instead of composing on the Dashboard.

Keep up the (mostly) excellent work.

MurdocK said...

David,

Sadly something happened to the post when it transferred to the Blog and it is now 'cut-off' the ends of many of your longer sentences.

I could not clearly make out all of what you are trying to say.

Grumpy said...

True story

Just last month I had to take my mother from her 'Extended care bed' to a doctor (it seems our health minister refuses to have eye doctors visit ECU's). My mother who is crippled with dementia and the results of a fractured hip, was in a wheel chair.

I did not have a handicap pass, nor did I park in a handicap zone, yet after finding parking, observed a 'Hummer' (the SUV tank) parked in the handicap zone, with the West side type unloading her precocious in a stroller, telling an elderly couple to F*** off because she parked in the handicap zone first!

To my utter embarrassment, I told the West side type to F*** off, called the police on my cell (Oh, by the way , 911 doesn't like parking calls).

She stormed away to a Starbucks, with stroller in full tilt, and just a few minutes latter upbraided by a VPD type for wasting time, all the while an elderly man (80's) unloaded his wife (in a wheelchair and missing 1/2 leg) from the middle of the street.

Not only did the VPD type not help, he castigated me for helping and threatened the elderly type with a traffic ticket!

Scenes like this make me want to puke, every time I see Gordo's "BC, the Best place on Earth adverts!"

Anonymous said...

Same thing David, had to go to the Province's website to read your column.

This is a little off topic, but I felt the need for a little rant because for me it epitomizes the Vancouver culture -- for good or bad I don't know. I was driving along a leafy west side street this morning and noticed a large group of people (perhaps 8 or 10) gathered on the sidewalk. These people, all women with strollers (very expensive strollers), were participating in something called "stroller fitness" (I did a quick Google to get the name correct). I had to stop and watch for a moment because I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. They were using their stroller handles as exercise bars while they did bends and stretches, etc. It was quite something to see all the Lulu Lemon clad, dare I say, Yummy Mummies, put through their paces. No doubt they all went for a smart jog once the bending was finished. Now exercise is good, getting your baby out into the fresh air is good, but rather than engendering a positive feeling in me, it made me feel rather hostile, much like the hostility I feel when I see special parking at the mall set aside for parents of young children (as if this is a handicap) -- I certainly made it through my kids' early years without designated special parking. But I digress. So, what is going on here? Why is everything so terribly cute and trendy? Can’t a couple of mom friends just get together and take their babies for a walk without it turning into the next “it” thing? Well, now that I’ve gotten that off my chest I feel a bit better. And don’t get be started about the SUV size strollers in the narrow coffee and muffin queue at Mix!

Mo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mo.

I can't really comment on trendy, ultra chic things to do with parenthood. I am NOT a "yummy mummy". I am a dumpy mummy. I wear second hand clothes (as do my children), I have not had a haircut in over a year (I let it grow long and wear it under a cap or in a ponytail). That stain on my shirt is either puke or playdoh that somehow got in the laundry pile.

I'll admit that I do have a big stroller (it is a double mind you). We are a single car family and I prefer to walk the 15 minutes to our local grocery store for shopping. I have all my grocery bags hung on the sides of my stroller. I look like a binner (bag lady or whatever you want to call me). What the heck, sure beats an extra set of car payments, insurance and ever increasing gas prices...

One thing about being a dumpy mummy - I have a zero balance on my credit card. I wonder if LuluLemon lassie can say the same...

As for special parking at the mall ... what the heck!!

Once in a while I go the Metrotown Mall. In nice weather, I walk. Takes about 40 to 45 minutes and I go through the very pleasant Central Park. In inclement weather, I take the bus and the Skytrain. To get to the mall from the Skytrain, I have to go the the teensy, tiny elevator on the east part of the platform. I wait patiently with all the others with mobility aides (canes, crutches, walkers, wheelchairs). The elevator can accept maybe two of us at a time. Sometimes we firmly, but politely remind groups of able bodied young people to take the escalator (as they have the luxury of that choice).

When I finally get to the sidewalk. I have to walk the equivalent of two city blocks back to the mall (crossing the road and a bus loop to get to the doors).

Nice that they have specific parking for SUVs with strollers.

How about a second elevator or an accessible over pass to the mall for us transit users who can't negotiate the escalator or stairs?

I guess that just isn't trendy enough.

Linda