Wednesday, December 31, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR


Be careful what you wish for...

Dare I wish for the intractable, hateful, murderous conflict between Israel and everybody else to end and find a peace for all?

I am a Jew living in Canada and I am daily made sick to the stomach of the continuing news of death and the relentless hatred towards Israel.

Will some small ray of light appear on that stage in 2009? We can dream...

I wish our Canadian soldiers back from Afghanistan.

I wish for a friendlier, more relaxed, more open Canadian citizen, one who can actually smile and say, "Good morning," as you pass each other in the street.

I wish for more insulation and double-glazed windows for my lovely, but terribly energy-inefficient house.

I wish for some political leadership somewhere in Canada at any level.

I wish everyone gets home safely tonight from the revels.

I wish I could get past the Miser Within that keeps me from taking advantage of the Boxing Week sales to buy that fancy new camera I really covet.

I wish you all a year of good health, some coins in your jeans, and the warmth and companionship of friends, families and lovers in whatever shapes, sizes and colours they may appear.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

felice Anno Nuovo.

Anonymous said...

David,

HNY. Go for the camera. In fact, what about getting behind a movie camera?

DC

Anonymous said...

I wish you and those you love a very Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year David.


June

Anonymous said...

David, I agree, go for the camera! I can't believe that it is New Years already! Seems like only a year ago, that it was "New Years"!
I wish that you and your readers will look at their glass in the New Year, and be thankful that it is "half full", but never "half empty". Good health, a keen sense of humour, compassion for others, and we will wind our way through the New Year........... and meet here again in 365 days!
Cheers everyone!

David in North Burnaby BC said...

"Dare I wish for the intractable, hateful, murderous conflict between Israel and everybody else to end and find a peace for all?"

As Golda put it so well: "This will end when the Arabs love their children more than they hate the Jews."

Robert W. said...

Well written, David. Both Davids actually!

While I'm trying to focus on Canada in 2009, what's going on over in Gaza is occupying much of my attention right now.

I am greatly disturbed, though not at all surprised, at how much of the MSM has completely slanted the news coverage against Israel.

I had some moderate Muslim friends challenge me on my support for Israel. I asked them 2 simple questions:

1. If the Musqueum Indian Band suddenly got some radical leadership that decided to start firing rockets into the neighbourhoods of Vancouver, would you encourage the authorities to simply engage in a "proportional response"?

2. Do you REALLY think that nefarious Muslim elements around Israel REALLY want the Palestinians to lead normal, prosperous lives?

The answer I got back was 'No' to both questions.