Wednesday, March 11, 2009

LIVESTOCK REPORT


1. "They are so pretty and so cute and they talk to you and follow you around," gushed Heather Havens.

The question we have to ask, of course, is..."Heather Havens?" Is that a made-up name? Or dare I ask, a "nom de PLUME???"

Heather is talking about her favorite hens, Zilla and Cheeks, whom she keeps in her Surrey backyard.

Heather is understandably all a-cluck with delight at the motion passed by Vancouver City council last week to legalize Z & C and all their feathered cousins and uncles and aunts.

The motion by the way was made by new council member, Andrea Reimer. Is this what you ran for civic office for, Andrea?

But enough about Andrea. Let's go back to the continuing adventures of The Loneliness of Heather.

Ms. Havens said keeping chicken isn't about saving money.

"You find yourself making excuses to go out and be with them," she said. "You bring them a treat, or check for eggs, but really, they are just nice to be around."

You cannot write material like this. It shows up once or twice in a lifetime.

2. Headline:

Saskatchewan farmers battle infestation of insidious boars

You see, there is some advantage to spelling.

At first, I looked at this banner and thought, "My god, what are all those politicians doing out in the middle of the prairie in this miserable weather. I know Larry Campbell has a family farm in that neck of the woods, but how did he persuade those other "insidious bores" to come along with him?"

But then...boars...b-o-a-r-s...

Oh. That's different.

Never mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CBC reports a man and his dogs were attacked by a cow moose in broad daylight and of all places, behind the WallyMart in Prince George.

Go figure, there's got to be some pithy comment someone can make out of that no?

NRF said...

I'm looking forward to fresh eggs every morning and fried chicken in the evening. But, I can't eat poultry every day, so I'm gonna keep a few ducks, geese, hogs and sheep along side the birds. Pork chops are nice and Gordon Ramsay says that f*&k%ng mutton is coming back in f*&k%ng style. Might try my hand at making foie gras because it's getting harder and harder to find.

I am a little worried about predators though. I read that Spanish people use donkeys to protect their flocks and herds so I'll try a couple of those to see if they keep the wolves and coyotes at bay. One or two horses might be nice company for the donkeys and I could let the children ride them in the neighborhood.

Luckily, I've got one of the big 33 foot lots in Vancouver. If my land was one of those little 25 foot plots, keeping animals would be almost impractical. As it is, I'm running short of space to pile the manure and the feed. Oh well, nobody said urban farming would be easy. I wonder if city council would let me grow hay in Queen Elizabeth Park?

Anonymous said...

At least you are never boaring, David.