Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's in a Word?


Writing in this morning's Globe, Rod Mickleburgh is generally upbeat about the enthusiastic participation of aboriginals in the Olympic ceremonies and rituals.

However, when he gets around to mentioning protest, he feels it necessary to call the Olympic Resistance Network "strident."

'scusa me?

I am not a member of any "Network," but I have raised my concerns with the Olympic games enough times in this column to be reasonably viewed as a protester.

But strident?

You can hear my shrieks and whelps?

Oh, excuse me. That's just my busy and fabulous sex life seeping through the transoms of your mind.

There is a terribly funny and telling piece of business in an old Seinfeld episode in which Kramer, participating in an AIDS walk, refuses to wear the red ribbon.

For his individuality, he is rewarded by a severe beating from his fellow AIDS walkers.

The Tyranny of the Majority.

Now we have the official version in print.

If you find 2010 a bit much, a misuse of public funds, a little ski party gone mad, the you are Barbra Strident.

Puleeeze...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although the Four Host First Nations are participating, I think the urban (off reserve)aboriginals, which are the majority of the aboriginal population, are being left out. Is that true?