Thursday, October 8, 2009

THE T-SHIRT REBELLION


I wrote yesterday in this space about how the Olympics are increasingly doing the exact opposite of what they are supposed to do - they are threatening core democratic principles.

Today we learn that the City of Vancouver has a by-law that is clearly complicit in stifling dissent and free speech.

Geoff Meggs is a bright and decent guy and a good addition to City Council, but he must be kidding when he defends this stupidity.

Everyone at VANOC and the world-dominating IOC and the City of Vancouver should all take a pill and try really hard to just relax.

The famous effing Games will come and go and some will have a great party and some will win medals and most will be shut out by not having an MP in their family who could get tickets, and some like me will go far, far away, and some will stay and protest.

And that's Life in the Big City, Kids.

By-Laws and fines for wearing a T-shirt?

Come on! It's a fucking shirt. Live with it. Get over it. Print your own funny shirt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I get one?

I would like to see a T-shirts with:

The Olympic (am I allowed to say that here) rings sinking like the Titanic in a pool of debt.

The three Olympic mascots punching out Gordo.

The Olympic rings dropping on Meggs head.

The Olympic rings made of money.

Or the taxpayer being mugged by Olympic rings or the three Olympic mascots or both!!

Evil Eye

Jeff Taylor said...

First of all, I have to say that as a former Vancouver resident now living in Toronto, I'm looking forward to watching the Olympics on T.V. nightly. I supported Vancouver in hosting the Games. HOWEVER, freedom of speech, and the freedom of association should trump ALL things Olympic - even I dare say their bloody logo (eg: them bullying small pizza shop businesses owners, etc). The truth is that any major event such as the Olympics and Expo Fairs, are events more for Gov't's, and the wealthy than for the average Joe or Mary working two jobs to pay the bills. Some say it's a party for the rich. Any ways, I hope I can still enjoy watching Vancouver hosting the Games on T.V. thinking about ALL the crap that goes along with the event.

Anonymous said...

Set fire to the Olympic rings on Grant Machonacie Way just as Rogge and company exit the airport in their tax payer funded limousines . . I say!

Anonymous said...

David, I hope that the people that protest the olympdicks keep coming up with new and inventive ways to do so. Banners behind planes A bylaw. Banners from zodiac boats,another bylaw. Newspaper ads, another bylaw.
I hope that the protestors come up with enough new ways that we end up with thousands of new bylaws