Friday, November 2, 2007

How Many Books Will the Loonie Buy Me?


I buy books.


Mostly, these days, I buy from amazon.com.


The price is cheap and the delivery is swift (a week, a week and a half) and reliable.


Otherwise, I usually buy from Book Warehouse. Price, period.


Every so often, I buy from Hager's Books in Kerrisdale, an old-fashioned one-of bookstore, where the ladies who run the shop actually know both their stock and their customers. Imagine that!


Almost never buy from Chapters. Rude, cold, boring, unknowledgeable and they expect me to stand in a line to give them money. Only Safeway gets that concession for me.


But mostly, they are expensive.


The only other exceptions are Munroe's in Victoria, where I feel I just have to bring home a book souvenir and the several wonderful little book shops on Salt Spring Island.


Now Wal-Mart has announced it will recognize the Canadian Dollar in its book pricing. Good.

No comments: