Monday, December 3, 2007

We Are Not Alone


And all this time I thought Tranclunk was the only system in the world dumb enough to not have turnstiles, gates and ticket exits.


I was wrong.


Top of the We Trust You list has been Los Angeles, which, as it turns out, is not so angelic after all.


"The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority board voted last week to take the first step toward installing 275 ticket gates on the entire 17.4-mile subway and at many light-rail stations."


The NY Times story is called "An End to the Free Ride on Trains in Los Angeles," and it can be read in its entirety here.


Retro Vancouver leaders take note.

1 comment:

Robert W. said...

There *MAY* only be 5% cheaters in L.A. (though I suspect it's much greater) but here in Vancouver I'm absolutely convinced that it's a much larger number. As you know, I ride the buses on a regular basis and have seen way too much cheating to think otherwise.