Monday, April 28, 2008

Victor on the Radio - Pizza Uber Alles


Bloated Bill has another crusade.


This time, Bloated Bill, the CKNW talk show host, had two of his twenty nothing assistants try to catch a cab to the Tri Cities. They were refused and it became the number one news story on CKNW all day, complete with a quote from Kevin Falcon. Something about a Cab Riders Bill of Rights.

This is how news is made at our biggest radio station. It has come to this. Why do we even have journalism schools?

Bloated Bill's young assistants think a cab driver should be required to haul a fare anywhere in the GVRD at any time, even if he has to dead head back, burning gas and losing money.
By this logic, I should be able to order a pizza delivered from White Rock to my house in Vancouver. After all, I'm hungry. It's my human right to survive even of the pizza operator loses his shirt.

Last week Bloated Bill interviewed his two twenty nothings for their views on how consumers should respond to higher energy costs. One of them confessed that at age 27, she had just moved out of her parent's basement. But that didn't deter her from sharing her economic wisdom with listeners.

No wonder they think a cab driver is similar to a nineteenth century rickshaw driver in Nanking. You do a lot of growing after you leave Daddy's basement. While waiting, you can always work for Bloated Bill.

I'm ordering that pizza. I have Kevin Fallopian on speed dial just in case.

The Boulevardier.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems unfair to expect low paid taxi drivers to have to deadhead from the suburbs in the wee hours of the morning.
The solution would be to legally charge double fare for trips to the suburbs at nighttime.

David in North Burnaby BC said...

What a combination: "Bloated Bill", who has so little in common with his adoring audience its Marie Antoinesque, interviewing his two twenty nothings" one straight out of Mum's. They might as well be Martians. I tuned Bill out years ago, and find myself frequently being reminded I'm glad I did.
Maybe someone someday will explain to me his appeal, or maybe its just frozen dial syndrome.