Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Huh?

Engrave this Quote Treat with utmost respect your power of forming opinions, for this power alone guards you against making assumptions that are contrary to nature and judgments that overthrow the rule of reason.
Tell a Friend-Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 3.9

Where did I say that I had "come round?"

I posted the article on Global Warming because it is another voice in a sea of too-ready agreement.

I don't doubt that there are the most peculiar and frightening changes before us.

But I am not entirely convinced that we know all the reasons for these phenomena.

Now, is man responsible for his own stupid treatment of the world which he has inherited? You bet. Can we do better? Absolutely.

Need we pollute and belch and fart up the airs and the oceans to the degree we do? No.

That still leaves many questions to be asked.

You'll forgive me if I use these pages to have a few uncomfortable questions asked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I made any assumptions.

This is a good example of the problem of the way the debate has been framed. This is not between people who believe Al Gore chapter and verse, against those who think the planet is not warming at all and that we can spew as much crap into the atmosphere as we like.

It's about people who don't wish to have a proper scientific debate about the question versus those who do. Which is what a skeptic does. Debate. And that's what I meant when I mentioned you'd "come round". You've become just a little skeptical of the hype. Which is good. I think the better position is the one that says, hey, wait a minute, let's talk about this.

But people who say these kinds of things (like maybe the debate is not over) are the ones being called "holocaust deniers" and "flat earthers". That's how unhealthy the "debate" has become.

David Berner said...

Gotcha...