Sunday, March 30, 2008

Oh, Say Can You See?


Last night I saw something amazing...and horrifying on television.


I mean besides Yoko Ono. (See below, next post.)


Apparently, a world court wanted to overturn the right of the state of Texas to execute people found guilty of capital crimes.


That motion, which, if I understood this properly, was actually supported by President Bush (???), was defeated.


Thus, Texas maintains its right to execute prisoners on death row. They have more than anyone.


That wasn't the amazing or horrifying part. That was just the news.


The creepiness was Lou Dobbs and a reporter both crowing that "This is a great day for Texas and for the United States of America," because it means that nobody can tell the sovereign state of Texas what it can or cannot do.


Now, I understand that sentiment.


I can even appreciate that sentiment.


I don't like some Silver Spooned Kennedy heir coming here and telling us how to manage our forests...even if the sonovabitch may have a point. Nobody likes being told how to run their own ship. Fair enough. Got it.


But, "this is a great day for the sovereign state of Texas and for the United States of America" because they have the right to kill people who kill people??????


Now that's progressive and thoughtful.


Break out the bubbly. Civilized killing is still a go.

1 comment:

Robert W. said...

Can't agree with you here, David.

This whole notion of a "world court" deeply troubles me. Do you, a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver, want a group of people over in the Hague in Europe telling the judges in your province & country what's right and what's wrong? I don't. I absolutely don't.

Certainly the rhetoric of Dobbs et al was over the top. But as for candidates for execution, I would have no problem with Robert Pickton, Clifford Robert Olson, and others of their ilk breathing their last breath yesterday. If that makes me a madman or a zealot then so be it.