Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cannot be

Say it isn't so.

Tell me that this alleged row between George Clooney and Brad Pitt about who will play Professor Henry Higgins in a new version of "My Fair Lady" is sheer hooey.

There are certain movies - "The Godfather," "Lawrence of Arabia" come quickly to mind - that are so perfect in rhythm and pitch, that shot for shot they simply cannot be improved upon.

I just came back from the store, turned on the TV and there they were...Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn very near the end of the fairy tale. Even when you walk in on a scene so far along, you have lived for so many years with these characters and these sets and costumes that it is like reliving a familiar and welcome dream. The loveliness is almost unbearable.

Please no George Clooney or Brad or Angelina or Julia Roberts or Renee Z...please...

2 comments:

MurdocK said...

sort of shows where the creative spirit has gone to when the best that can be produced now are re-hashes of great old productions.

sad really

where are the creative minds?

Anonymous said...

I agree. Still and always beautiful to listen to and watch.

When I prepared for the birth of my dear daughter, one of the instructions in prenatal classes was to "sing a song in your mind" to get through the labour pains. I not only sang, I wriggled my toes in time to the well known melody - and as instructed to do, when various medical personnel asked if I had cramps in my feet - I ignored them and carried on with "All I Want Is A Room Somewhere" .


June